Friday, September 9, 2011

One RPG a year keeps the doctor away

Imgp8481

In the photo above my cat Grillo sleeping deeply with a stuffed toy near him :)

Now you might wonder why I picked that title for my post? As you know I've always worked on many games at once, as a way to keep up with the occasional disappearances of artists. However, while this method is working well for my visual novel, dating sim and life simulation games, for RPGs is a different story. I've noticed that is very hard to keep focused on doing more than one RPG at once (lol, not a surprise!) so I've decided that, to avoid releasing poor/mediocre games, I won't be working on more than one RPG a year!

This doesn't include expansions or even sequels like Planet Stronghold: Warzone. When/if I can re-use most of the gameplay and rules of a previous RPG, then I believe that is possible to make even two a year, but if I have to create a new RPG from scratch... that's not possible!

I am not talking only about the coding. The coding is a tough part of RPGs, that's for sure, but what makes really hard to release a good one is the amount of content needed. I dare to say (and I'm sure most game developers will agree with me) that a RPG is the kind of game that requires more work of all the game genres. You need a story. You need several quests, which are basically subplots, and they need to fit in the main story and not be just stupid "kill 10 rats" quests (having some of them are OK, but not all quests should be like that). There's need of art, lots of art. Since I do mainly 2d games, every enemy is a sprite. How many enemies a RPG have? Planet Stronghold has 40, though some re-use the basic shape changing color/weapons. Loren RPG, my upcoming fantasy RPG will have 40-50 enemies as well, but they will be all different ones! So that's already a lot of work just for the art.

And last but not least, testing. Unless the RPG you're making is very linear and has "casual gameplay" (very simple rules), the testing will be a major pain ! :) You have to take into account every possible variable and combination, and often if you don't ,you end up with very mysterious bugs and unhappy customers (though I have to say that my RPG buyers were much more supportive than those of other games genres!).

So, what does this means in practice? that while I'll keep artists working on Undead Lily's artwork, I will release Loren RPG first, and Undead Lily next year. This way, I'll be able to release two quality products. Loren RPG is at good point - even if I keep adding "just one more enemy" since a month, the plot writing is going steadly and the battle system coding is almost finished. As I announced in my forums, once the RPG framework reaches a decent state I plan to release a small alpha to get user feedback and do some testing.

As for Planet Stronghold: Warzone, the artist said that after this last convention, she will work fulltime on it. There's need of quite some art, new enemies, a new playable character to replace the old Bellamy, and more CGs scenes for the romances. I don't have any planned release date, my idea is to keep this game going on parallel with the others and see when is finished. As I said, since I can reuse a good part of the previous Planet Stronghold code/rules/system, this game will be easier/quicker to produce than Loren RPG or Undead Lily.

So the plan is to try finishing Loren RPG by end of this year (no guarantees) and Undead Lily for summer next year, while Planet Stronghold: Warzone might really be finished anytime between the two. Obviously, I'll keep releasing visual novel and dating/life sim in the meanwhile, like I did this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment