Friday, December 2, 2011

2012 will be the year of Fantasy

Dsc01159
In the photo above, a portrait of my cat Batman.

While the beta testing of Winter In Fairbrook continues (we're only missing some typos to correct and then everything will be ready for the official release), I am now working mostly on Loren RPG and Queen Of Thieves.

Why 2012 is the year of Fantasy?

It will be because very likely I'll release Loren RPG, Queen Of Thieves, and hopefully also Amber's Magic Shop, though this is the less advanced game for now. Let's see the progress status of each game.

Loren The Amazon Princess

Loren RPG is starting to get into the final stage. Which means at least 2-3 more months, depending how long takes to finish the texts and images. It's definitely going to be my biggest game ever, on every aspect: amount of writing and plot complexity, amount of art (both on interface, character and backgrounds) and amonut of gameplay/rules/game system.

I really hope will be worth it! But anyway, this is a game I always wanted to make, and I'm very pleased by how is coming out, so I think in the end it will be worth it in any case.

Below you see some screenshots of the current GUI design. The equipment screen, where you can equip your character, and the "post battle" screen mockup, which will show some statistics about the battle and how many experience points each character made.

My current goal is to have a playable Alpha out before the end of the month, and it's not going to be easy, even if the battle engine is completely coded, still need testing/tweaking. In particular, so far I didn't test with much equipment at all, and I didn't define any enemy. Enemies can have skillsets like the playable characters, but aren't restricted by the class, so there can be lots of interesting combinations to make, but also to test, to make sure there aren't invincible enemies!

Another big part of the game that is still missing is the map system, which I wanted to make slightly different from Planet Stronghold one. You can travel from place to place, but I want to make random encounters. However, in the easy/normal mode, you'll be able to skip/run from the random encounters. I don't want to force the player to fight the random battles at easy levels, but on the other hand they might be useful to raise your characters power in case you're stuck with some main plot related battle.

The Queen Of Thieves

I really can't believe that I started this game in December 2010 and still haven't all the art finished, though is really not missing much to be art-complete. Below you see two tests I made for the game interface.

I thought it would be interesting to display the speaking characters on the side of the dialog, and alternate them on the left/right side. I am also thinking to add basic eye blink and mouth animation.

Gameplay wise I'm still thinking about how to make it, but I think will have some sort of 2d map, so will be a sort of mix between a strategy and a RPG game. About the story, each one of the girls can have a romance relationship with 2 of the 3 boys. Which means there are 6 romance subplots in total. So far, two have been finished, so we're at about 1/3 of the writing.

Amber's Magic Shop

As I said this is the less advanced game, also because the artist I had picked for it quit without saying a word. Luckily, there are many other more reliable artists around that are eager to work for me :)

The writing is still at the beginning, but I had time to think / plan the gameplay and story better, and I really like how is coming out. The game will feature two ages: teenager and adult age. In the teenager stage, your decision will change not only the starting relationship at the adult age, but also some important gameplay elements. I haven't implemented anything yet so that's just an idea for now, but I really like it and I think will work well, adding much more replayability to the game.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment