Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas and Best of 2011

Img_1334
In the photo above, my cat Othello sleeping peacefully in a basket with a cushion :)

Merry Christmas to everyone! To celebrate, from today until the 25th December EST timezone, you can get a single game from the whole Winter Wolves catalog for 50% off, using the coupon "XMAS".

And what about the title "Best of 2011"? Well in the last week I've seen around internet lots of "Best of..." by almost all sites. The fun thing, is that they talk always about the same games! I don't want to argue about Minecraft or Skyrim being the best games. However, I want to remind that there are small niches, who don't care at all about those two games, and there's nothing wrong with it!

Personally I TRIED playing Minecraft but I quit after 5 minutes. I know many other people who did the same. Does it means that it sucks? Of course not, but while that game entertained lots of people, there is a minority (a niche) that maybe preferred to play other kind of games, maybe one of my games.

So of the games I have released this year, I want to make three "Best Of". I talk about my games because sadly this year I was so busy with work and real-life stuff that I really didn't had time to play accurately ANY other game (including AAA titles) so I cannot judge anything.

Best Art

1. Planet Stronghold
2. Winter In Fairbrook
3. Always Remember Me
4. Love & Order
5. Spirited Heart Girl's Love

The first two places are very close. However, while in Winter In Fairbrook the character art by Deji is lovely as always, the backgrounds are definitely worse than Planet Stronghold ones (they also had a different budget, so it's normal!). Always Remember Me has slightly better backgrounds than Love & Order (and same character artist) while Spirited Heart Girl's Love had the beautiful characters drawn by Meago, but it was an add-on, so it mostly reused the old game art.

Best Writing

1. Spirited Heart Girl's Love
2. Winter In Fairbrook
3. Always Remember Me
4. Love & Order
5. Planet Stronghold

Ok I know that everyone loves Ayu's writing. I do too :D But I think that Aleema writing on SHGL was a bit overlooked because of the game theme (yuri) which is much less popular than WiF one (otome). I might be also biased because obviously I like more yuri than otome :D Anyway, was a close call and depends on tastes. Always Remember Me writing was nice I think, while Love & Order was good but definitely short and not well developed in the romance scenes. Planet Stronghold...<coughs> I know, that's the weakest point of the game, but the sequel won't be written by me, I swear! :)

Best Gameplay

1. Always Remember Me
2. Planet Stronghold
3. Love & Order
4. Spirited Heart Girl's Love
5. Winter In Fairbrook

Well, there are no doubts that Planet Stronghold has the most complex gameplay, however I think that even Always Remember Me life simulation system, with the map and time of the day was not bad. A close call really, but Planet Stonghold probably was too much niche for most people. But again depends on tastes!
Love & Order wasn't bad even if maybe a bit too much repetitive. The last two places could be considered a tie, since they were using the gameplay of the original title without much innovation.

3 comments:

  1. Marry Xmas to all users. I have already made whole plan of Xmas. I have collected few games which your have shown in your favorite list. Glad to see Xmas favorites here.
    jet rc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to play games all time when i get free. The games you have given here are really very useful. I really like to play it.

    compare conveyancing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marry Christmas to all. I really enjoyed to play game. In this post define a good list of games. I really like it. Thanks for sharing.

    photoshop training sydney

    ReplyDelete